Monday, November 9, 2009

Game Design

So I've recently been on Twitter a lot, using it especially to follow the Ignition page, which brought me into contact with Ryan Thompson a social media strategist at Ignition USA. Ryan asked me recently if I'd do an interview on his blog (which will be sometime this week). So in the mean time, I decided to dig up a Game Design document I did 3 years ago in my Game Design course at FSC. I'm not sure if this is the final version, or a preliminary one, as its the only copy I have left (one that was saved in my email). I have no idea if I'll ever get to make this game (although I'll probably revise it heavily if I ever decide to).

These 20 pages outline the mechanics, controls, interface, items, attacks, ai, statistics, story and progression of the game. Although the story and progression needed to be expanded much more, but what I have here is just a start. Anyways, this game I came up with when I was really into anime with the Shinsengumi (still am) such as Rurouni Kenshin, Peacemaker Kurogane, and Shura no Toki. The setting of this game most closely resembles the Shinsengumi depicted in Peacemaker Kurogane. If I were to rewrite this document today it would probably be a lot different, and I'd spend more time on it. But its interesting to go back and look at this and think, would this make a sweet video game? Will I ever get to make something like this? As my main skills are in web design/development, drawing and video editing, I'm still a long way from being able to make a video game myself. However, in the future I could see myself getting into the gaming industry and learn how to design games myself, and maybe possibly create this game or one similar. Feel free to look through the document below, but don't steal my idea!

Download the Game Design Document

No comments: